September 2009 Podcast Show Notes
Back to episode list
In this episode:
- Editor’s Desk with Allison Stacy
- News from the Blogosphere: What’s new at Ancestry.com
- Top Tips: Express Shipping
- 101 Best Web Sites: HeritageQuest Online
- Best of Family Tree Magazine: The Grandparents Trap
- Library Spotlight: Library of Congress
- Action Items
Your Host: Lisa Louise Cooke
Trying to track down immigrant ancestors online? In this episode, contributing editor Rick Crume talks about his article “Express Shipping” in the November 2009 issue of <em>Family Tree Magazine</em>, in which he offers four real-life examples of searches that work. We highlight one of our 101 Best Websites—HeritageQuest Online, and managing editor Diane Haddad talks about the most recent developments at Ancestry.com. In the Best of <em>Family Tree Magazine</em> segment, Allison Stacy sheds light on some of the common myths in genealogy, and in Library Spotlight, we show you what the Library of Congress has to offer.</p>
The Editor’s Desk with Allison Stacy
News from the Blogosphere with Genealogy Insider Diane Haddad
Genealogy Insider Diane Haddad discusses what’s new at Ancestry.com.
Read the Genealogy Insider Blog
Top Tips: Express Shipping
Contributing Editor Rick Crume provides tips for researching your ancestors online.
The article “Express Shipping” can be found in the November 2009 issue ofFamily Tree Magazine.
101 Best Website for Tracing Your Roots
HeritageQuest Online boasts the complete US census, the Periodical Source Index to genealogy publications, 24,000 history books and loads of other goodies for the genealogist.
Guest: Bill Forsyth, Director of Product Management at ProQuest
Best of Family Tree Magazine: The Grandparents Trap
In today’s Best of Family Tree Magazine segment, Allison Stacy sheds light on some of the common myths in genealogy! She draws from Lauren Gamber’s article “The Grandparents Trap” from the September 2004 special issue of Trace Your Family Tree.
In this episode we explore the variety of US collections available at the Library of Congress.
Guest: James Sweany, Head of the Local History and Genealogy Room
- Visit The Genealogy Insider Blog for all the latest genealogy news on a daily basis.
- Start researching your immigrant ancestors online by following all of Rick Crume’s great tips in the article “Express Shipping” which you’ll find in the November 2009 issue of the magazine.
- Check with your local public library to see if they can provide you with access to Heritage Quest Online.
- Head over to the Library of Congress’ Web site to explore their vast online catalogue and databases.
- Send us feedback by e-mail
- Visit the Family Tree Magazine Forum
- Subscribe to the Podcast in iTunes (a free download) and view the how-to videos on the Podcast Primer page.
Have fun climbing your family tree!
Listen to Lisa Louise Cooke’s Genealogy Gems and Genealogy: Family History Made Easy podcasts in iTunes and visit her Web site for great research ideas, podcast episodes and videos.