Sign up for the Family Tree Newsletter Plus, you’ll receive our 10 Essential Genealogy Research Forms PDF as a special thank you!
Get Your Free Genealogy Forms
"*" indicates required fields
The United States Newspaper Program is a national effort to preserve America’s historic press. Each state library inventories the newspaper collections of its local libraries, museums, courthouses and other sites, and catalogs them on a national database maintained by the Online Computer Library Center www.oclc.org.
Under the program, microfilm copies of newspapers are available anywhere in the country through interlibrary loan. Borrowers typically pay a small fee ($5-$20) and may have to wait four to six weeks. Visit www.neh.gov/preservation/usnp.html for more information; you can also access online newspaper morgues at 50 state libraries and eight National Newspaper Repositories, listed below:
• American Antiquarian Society, 14,324 titles cataloged: 185 Salisbury St., Worcester, MA 01609, (508) 755-5221, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.americanantiquarian.org/collections.htm
• Center for Research Libraries, 1,035 titles cataloged: 6050 S. Kenwood Ave., Chicago, IL 60637, (773) 955-4545, email@example.com, wwwcrl.uchicago.edu/info/handbook/hb43news.html
• Kansas State Historical Society, 10,330 titles cataloged: 6425 SW 6th Ave., Topeka, KS 66615, (785) 272-8681, Ext. 201, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.kshs.org/library/news.htm
• Library of Congress, 14,350 titles cataloged: Washington, DC 20540, (202) 707-2958, email@example.com, lcweb.loc.gov/rr/news/extnewsp.html
• The New York Public Library, 7,000 titles cataloged, 2 million pages microfilmed: Fifth Ave. & 42nd St., New York, NY 10018, (212) 930-0711, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.nypl.org/research/chss/grd/resguides/period.html
• The New York Historical Society, 9,080 titles cataloged: 2 W. 77th St., New York, NY 10024, (212) 873-3400 Ext. 225, www.nyhistory.org/librarycollection.html
• Rutgers University, 3,139 titles cataloged: 169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08901, (732) 932-7006, email@example.com, www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rulib/spcol/spcol.htm#newspapers
• State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 7,000 titles cataloged: 816 State St., Madison, WI 53706, (608) 264-6598, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.shsw.wisc.edu/library/collect.html
• Western Reserve Historical Society, 3,920 titles cataloged: 10825 East Blvd., Cleveland, OH 44106, (216) 721-5722, email@example.com, www.wrhs.org/sites/library.htm