Trace your ancestors back to Eastern Europe with this quick guide to Czech and Slovak genealogy. Inside, you’ll find valuable information on Czech and Slovak records, geography, surnames and history, plus brief Czech and Slovak language guides that will help you unpack difficult-to-understand resources.
Trace your Eastern European ancestors back to the old country! This eight-page Czech and Slovak Genealogy Cheat Sheet is designed to quickly deliver the information you need to understand the records of your Czech and Slovak ancestors, with a quick overview of how to find your Czech and Slovak ancestry and quick guides to the most important aspects of Czech and Slovak geography, language, history and records.
In this cheat sheet, you’ll find:
- Quick overviews of Czech and Slovak geography, including a full-color map of the two countries, Czech and Slovak words for administrative divisions, and the locations of regional record offices
- An historical timeline displaying the most important moments in Czech and Slovak history
- Language charts showing Czech and Slovak words that commonly appear in records, including family relationships, kinds of records, genealogically important events, numbers, days of the week and months of the year
- A quick-glance guide to the most important records in Czech and Slovak research, including immigration records, church and civil vital records, military records and census returns
- More resources such as books, websites and articles to consult when you want to dig deeper into your research
Once you download the Czech and Slovak Genealogy Cheat Sheet, you’ll need a PDF reader, such as the free Adobe Reader software, to open it. Adobe Reader is available for both Macs and Windows computers.
Note: This cheat sheet contains content adapted from the book The Family Tree Polish, Czech, and Slovak Genealogy Guide, which contains numerous tips for discovering your ancestors in Eastern Europe. Learn more about the full book.