When your family history search uncovers an old black-and-white photograph with unfamiliar people and places you don’t recognize, your first step to identifying those people–and determining whether they’re your relatives–is to figure out when the picture was taken.Our Dating Old Photos Cheat Sheet has 8 pages of quick-reference charts, tips and resources to help you date your old mystery photos. It gathers the best mystery photo dating advice from Family Tree Magazine and the book Family Photo Detective, written by photo history expert Maureen A. Taylor.You’ll love the Dating Old Photos Cheat Sheet if…
- You want to learn more about the people shown in your old family photos
- You’re trying to learn when or where an old picture was taken
- You don’t know who’s pictured in an old photo you found in a family collection
- You need a quick reference to consult as you research old photos
The Dating Old Photos cheat sheet gives you:
- the best identification clues to look for an old photo, including clothing, background, photographer’s imprint, etc.
- charts to help you determine the format of your photo–daguerreotype, ambrotype, tintype, photo postcard, etc.
- a decade-by-decade chart outlining clothing and fashion trends, popular hairstyles, and current accessories for men and women from the 1850s through the 1920s
- clues for dating photo cases
- what to look for in old photos of children
- special tips and hidden clues for discovering the date of a 19th- or early 20th-century photograph
- resources for learning more about how to date old mystery photos in your family
- a Photo Identification Worksheet for noting the photo clues you uncover
You will receive the Dating Old Photos Cheat Sheet as a digital PDF file you can download immediately after making your purchase. Recommended websites in the PDF are hyperlinked for quick-click access. You can print the PDF file on your home computer.