Sign up for the Family Tree Newsletter Plus, you’ll receive our 10 Essential Genealogy Research Forms PDF as a special thank you!
Get Your Free Genealogy Forms
"*" indicates required fields
Two weeks ago I deciphered the clues in a mystery wedding. Sandy Eichelberger submitted it. She thought it depicted members of her mother’s family.
It’s a three-part challenge. This week, it’s a photo that is a relief from the sweltering summer heat. It’s a woman in a winter coat standing in a winter scene. It’s an elaborate studio set-up with snowy hills and a white floor. We’re supposed to believe that this woman posed outside.
Clues in the setting
Studio settings can provide clues. The background can identify a place. Sometimes the painter includes a recognizable local landmark. Other times landscapes reflects the area in which the subject of the portrait lived. Beachside pictures might represent a holiday at the shore.
The furs she wore
In this image, a woman of means posed draped in furs hands in a fur muff. There are nine animal heads and bodies in these furs. I can’t tell whether they are minks or not, but they might be.
The odd thing is the black fabric on the top of her hat. It could be a scarf because there is fringe on the end. I wonder what it’s doing on her head, though.
Even though we don’t know her name, we know a few things:
- She likely lives in a cold climate.
- She’s financially well-off based on the number of pelts stitched together
- The clothing clues suggest a date circa 1910
- She appears to be middle aged. A woman about 45 years of age in 1910 would be born circa 1865.
Now what I need is a bit of family history information from Sandy: her mother’s name, grandparents and maybe great grandparents names and dates. From this information I can develop some theories.
Want to edit and retouch your family photos like a pro? Sign up for our Photo Editing and Retouching for Genealogists Web Seminar Download.
You’ll love this if:
- you want to refurbish your old family photos
- you want to know what free software is available for photo editing
- you want tips for scanning, retouching and filing digital photos